Motorhome Experiences of Lyle Dean and Judy Lebsack


Traveled in light rain, then heavy fog after leaving Carcross, YK about noon.  Our group stumbled on a free lunch hosted by the Yukon government for locals, but we were invited.  Very hospitable people.  Very good burgers and hot dogs!  (photo far right)

The only glitch was leaving.  Lyle got the coach stuck in sand that was softer then we (he) expected.  Our group's tail gunner, Jerry Rose, had experienced four recent similar events and knew what to do.  Even the hydraulic jacks were buried in sand, so we dug out from under those, put 2x10's under the jacks and raised the jacks (and the coach so that other boards could be put under the drive tires.  It wasn't quite that smooth, but you get the idea--and it worked, thanks to Jerry, Barney, our group leader who turned around after leaving Carcross to help, and the assistance of two complete strangers who disappeared before we could offer our thanks.  The friendliness of people in the Yukon is wonderful and appreciated!  On our shopping list is a folding shovel and some 2 x 10's.  Lyle learns something new every day.  Today's lesson was that hydraulic jacks are not just for leveling the coach!  

Our trip through U.S. Customs just outside of Skagway cost us the tomatoes Judy purchased in Canada.  Something about microscopic parasites in Canadian tomatoes.  Glad we didn't eat them!


Took the narrow gauge train to White Pass, nearly 3,000 ft. above Skagway.  This railway was built to connect Skagway and Whitehorse, YK around the time of the gold rush of 1890's.  Most of the track bed had to be blasted from granite mountains.  Round trip, we were on the train about four hours.  Seats--either theirs or ours were not meant for that!   To the right a series of photos taken from the train, including the international marker between the U.S. and Canada and railroad trestle that is no longer used to span the gorge.  Also right:  one of multiple water falls viewed from the train.


Up early to catch a fast ferry to Juneau.  On the way we saw eagles, sunning sea lions, harbor seals, whales, spectacular mountain views and glacier-fed waterfalls.  We were in Juneau with about 25,000 other tourists from cruise ships.  The local merchants were in a frenzy!  At one point, there was a line waiting to get in the famed Red Dog Saloon.  While Judy shopped, Lyle visited a salmon hatchery.

Weather gradually improved from low-hanging clouds to partial sun and from chilly to comfortable.  It was a 13-hour day, but a good one!  Please enjoy some of the sights to the right and below.